Subject Area: Technology
Learning Objectives: Students will be able to find a 3D model online, upload it to 3D printing software, and print a 3D model.
Materials Needed: One computer, one Micro or Micro+ 3D printer, and one 250ft PLA 3D Ink filament spool per 2-5 students.
Brief Description: Students will learn how to find a 3D model of an animal online, upload it to 3D printing software, and print a 3D model.
To Prepare: Students will need a computer that has the M3D software on it. We recommend one printer per every 2-5 students. The Micro or Micro+ 3D printer will need to be plugged into both the wall and the computer. Each printer will need to have a 250ft spool of PLA feeding into the external port. A spool holder is also recommended.
If you need assistance with any of the above please see our guides at support.printm3d.com.
1. Students will go online to: https://www.thingiverse.com and type “animal” in the search bar. Alternatively, they could search for the name of the animal they would like to print, such as “Tiger.”
2. Once they have selected the model they would like to print, they need to download it to the computer.
3. Open the M3D software on the computer and upload the model.
4. If the model is too large, scale the model to a desired size and click print.
5. Once the print has completed, remove it from the print bed. Students now have a 3D printed animal they can take home. Updated: Mar 16 (4 months ago)